The Evil Ansh

The King of Devas and Devguru Brihaspati were travelling to Kailash to meet the holy Lord. On the way, to the Jungle, they met a naked man deep in meditation. The vain King asked the man the way. The man was so deep in his meditation that he did not reply. Fierce at this kind of humiliation the God of Thunderstruck the man with it. The man opened his hand and neutralized the bolt. His third eye opened in rage paralyzing the King of Devas. However, he controlled his anger and instead of turning the King to ashes the energy from his third eye met the Oceans.

" Prabhu? Forgive Indra for he did not know who you were." Brihaspati pleaded.
" DevGuru. This is my Kailash where no man is greater than the other. He is not the king here. He should treat a man like he wants to be treated."
" Please forgive him, My Lord.." 
The ever-forgiving Bholenath smiled.

Miles away from the God of the Oceans, Samudradev found a baby. His wails were disturbingly loud. It did not have the sweetness of a baby. The Devas pressed their hands against their ears. The helpless Samudra Dev took the abandoned child to the Creator, Brahma. Brahma took the child in his lap and the child caught his neck so hard he could hardly breathe. Letting go was not easy. Tears came in pain. Finally, Samudra Dev placed the child on his lap and Brahma read his future.
" This child would be a brave warrior. He will rule Heaven, The Earth and The Patal loke. Hand him over to Sukracharya. Tell him I named this child Jalandhar. He is born from Shiva's rage. However this child should not know this, that would make it difficult for him to live among commoners." 

A happy Samudra Dev handed the child to Sukracharya, the teacher of the Asuras. The child stayed under the care of one of the Asura women. He grew up to be a handsome young man just like the lord himself. Sukracharya taught him and made him king of the Asuras.

Vrinda was the daughter of Asura Kalanemi. Due to her devotion to Lord Vishnu, she was given a boon by the Lord that her husband will be alive as long as her chastity remained intact. She was an intelligent medical woman. As the King of the Asuras Jalandhara set up a capital at present-day Jalandhar in Punjab. He married Vrinda as per Sukracharya's wishes to save his life from enemies. On coming to know of the events of Samudra Manthan he realised how the Asuras were deprived and he send a message to Indra.

I ,Jaladhar, am the son of the Samudra Deva. I have heard that there are some possessions of his at your disposal which you acquired through Samudra Manthan. I request you to return my father's property to me, or else I will win it from you.

Not paying any heed to the threat Indra and Devas were easily defeated and caught by the Lord's son. They went to Vishnu with the request to kill Jalandhar. Laxmi, his consort, who emerged out of the Oceans, said to her husband, " My Lord, You will fight Jalandhar. He emerged out of the Oceans like me hence he is my brother. I know he can not defeat you but promise me you won't kill him, for my sake."
The ever-smiling Vishnu replied, " Yes my Laxmi, as you wish it shall be."

The war continued for days and neither side won or lost. Impressed with his warrior skills Vishnu offered a boon. Jalandhar promptly replied, " I want you to make Kheeradsagar your home and honour the oceans. Let Mata Laxmi stay where she belongs." 
" Tathasthu."

Soon Jalandhar became king of the three worlds. He was the emperor. One day Narad Muni came for a visit and told him tales of the greatest man Shiva and his most beautiful wife Parvati. The vain Emperor replied, much to everyone's horror " Who is this Shiva? I have never heard of him. And if he is the greatest I l defeat him and be the greatest and his beautiful wife will be mine." 
Sukracharya knew that Shiva was his father but he had promised Samudra Dev not to speak of it. Jalandhar send a messenger Rahu to Kailash. The furious Shiva forgave his son for his silly attempts and ignored the invitation for a duel.

Meanwhile, Indra came to know of Vrinda's boon and rushed to Vishnu, " My Lord, do something. Jalandhar is becoming violent and not even the Lord Mahadev can kill him because Vrinda will not give up her chastity willingly."
" Do not worry Indra for I myself will dress as Jalandhar and break her chastity."
"But my Lord, I am your wife, how can you bed somebody else's wife? will that not be immoral?"
" Priye, when am Parasu you are my mother, when am Ram you, my Sita, When am Krishna you are my Radha, the Gopis, the wives they are nobody yet they love me. Does that make Krishna there? Listen, my lady, whenever I go to earth you will always accompany me as Panchali, Radha, Sita or Varahi... I am going to Vrinda as an obligation to my duties and not for love, cause Krishna is Radha's Ram Sita's, and I only yours..."  Disguised as Jalandhara Vishnu took Vrinda to her chambers. Knowing his true identity and realizing it was too late Vrinda cursed her worshipped Lord " I curse you, my Aradhya, you will be born a human and you will suffer from questions regarding your wife's chastity and you will lose her." She committed suicide.

A fierce angry Jalandhar kidnapped Parvati. He held her wanting to marry her. Shiva's Ganas were at war with the Asuras. Shiva raised his Trident at his son. Before killing him Shiva enlightened him with the truth about his birth. Shiva who killed Jalandhar is worshipped as Panchanan, the five-headed angry avatar of the otherwise peaceful Lord.

Jalandhar died a hero, blinded by his vain overconfidence in his powers and lack of knowledge. Otherwise, like all the other sons of the Lord, he was a great warrior, a perfect husband and a good ruler of the Asuras. His causes were genuine and his thoughts were right. He is thus immortal through the city he built in India.



Post a Comment

0 Comments