Mewar: Parting Words

 So the journey ended the night I boarded the train from Udaipur with a heavy heart. I was staring back again and again. I left a part of myself in Mewar. My parents say I am so obsessed with Mewar that I might have had some previous life there. I so wish! As the train went out of Udaipur station one can see the beautiful heritage city lit up in all its glory. Here I want to share my parting thoughts on the trip.


The Food! It's utterly delicious, and I tried everything from the local aloo sabzi, matar to the famous Churma, Khichdi, Ghevar and even Biriyani. Their Saag and vegetables are so yummy! My personal favourite was the Ghevar which you have to preorder. Sweet Ghevar was delicious. So are their Thalis. Udaipur being a foreign tourist hub had wonderful continental dishes, chocolates, coffee, drinks and cakes. I loved the food there as well. Even tried Dosa in Udaipur which was okay!!!
Fishes are not that available, chicken is and if you are vegetarian Mewar is heaven! 

Traditional Mewari Dishes

Poha
The Poha I tried in Bijolia is something I would never forget. Roadside stalls make the best breakfasts here, Samosa Poha and all. I was wondering did people eat these too 500 years back? It's all so yummy!!!!
Hills at Udaipur

Yummy Cafeterias at Udaipur

Land scapes!!! 
Mewar's Land is God's Gift. On the same hill, you will find a patch of green soil, a patch of red, some black and some yellow. It's amazing like god had himself painted the land and coloured the canvas. The sunrise and sunsets are the best I have ever seen and no am not being partial here. I loved the cool breeze, the waters and the birds.
Kumbhalgarh Sunset! Must watch!

The Mewari Afghan Biriyani

This Lil sweet thing I found at SajjanGarh and he ate Lays Chips!



Ghevar! Remember? Aur Ghevar daliye!

On my way back, I was reading a book I bought there on the Maharana. And I came across this line, " Noone would know Mewar if not for him But if he was here he would say I won't be me if not for Mewar" It touched my heart. Yes, I loved Mewar in just 15 days and I can't imagine the one born there, his love!!!

For all the people who love shopping, I would say Udaipur is your place. The best part is you can find a variety of items from20 -20,000 according to your needs. I bought myself a traditional lehenga, some miniature painting replicas (if you can waste a fortune on the real thing please do!) and silver earrings. One thing all ladies must buy in Udaipur is silver and imitation jewellery, they replicate the traditional royal jewellery so well. And silver here is really good! I bought a maangtika too, dunno what I will do with it though!! I had a wonderful time and these 15 days were a dream come true for me. I lived a dream I dreamt of long ago, thanks to my parents! I was at Praja's Home!!

And if any of you visit, do let me know if you felt what I felt, cried smiled and enjoyed like me or is it just my obsession with The Maharana's Mewar! Hehe! Till another trip then!



Post a Comment

0 Comments